Facebook Badge

Friday, October 15, 2010

Youth Turn to Christianity as Hardships Continue


Hope is the last thing to leave a man before he dies. Hope is saying that something will happen that will bring about change hence it has a “future” factor. What happens then if the ones who must facilitate that change are “Jonas” or “Judas” compatriots and continue to keep and support the status quo: the Bible and Christianity become the next and only option. It’s a known fact that Christianity is a doctrine that gives any man, woman, prisoner or political figure a new beginning and most importantly HOPE.

The Zimbabwe Government continues to fail to abate the numerous economic and social hardships that face and destroy many youth in this day. Violent crimes, drug abuse, same-sex scandals and unemployment are part of the fabric that form our youth. Unemployment is now souring at above 80% what more with our fast paced brothers and sweet talking sisters coming from South Africa as their World Cup monies dry up and xenophobia sets in.

A few rounds in most high density suburbs will prove this: around ten economically active young men sitting idle on a corner sewage tank, the one from S.A parking his car right there playing Durban House. Marijuana, Ngomha (Histalix) Pacific, Madison and masese become the order of the day. Slow suicide it is! Still the Prime Minister and the President squabble over Bennet! Is there any thing coming their way in the next few coming weeks or months because they are now fed up? A change of course is now inevitable.

The discussions on the sewage tank range from rovha-girls, DeMbare, previous beer binges to television style crime until someone says “Did you see Mdara Bob wearing a “gamenzi” yesterday. Mdara icelebrity shuwa. Jesus sets in even on the president!” What can the youth do when even the Grand Master of the Zimbabwe Order of Merit appeals to Christianity? Go to church!

Many young men and women now throng different churches as the new springs of hope, be it Saturdays, Sundays or pungwes during the week. No hope is coming from the parliament in giving them a better life or simple opportunities to fork out a life. The leaders themselves are pinning their hopes on a document known as the constitution. Well the Bible has a better constitution in it and has proven history of that constitution working. Think of Job. The New Testament is the only provider of hope or a second round to life when one is planted kuMbudzi. So don’t be surprised with our leaders addressing rallies at church services.

Here is what three interviewed youth had to say.

Says Sheila (Mbare): “After staying at home for six years and having my Tuck-shop destroyed by murambatsvina, I slowly started joining my mother at her Zimbabwe Assembly of God Ministry prayer meetings because of lack of better activity at home. As time went on I became interested in the man Jesus and the hope he offered me. I followed some instructions on how to pray from my pastor and found things progressed positively in my life. So I kept on and I think that is the only way to go. I now have a flea market selling clothes and at this stage I am satisfied”.

Says Lovemore (Mbizo): “Shamwari when my nodal glands started swelling, I knew I was in deep trouble. I tried to wear a hooded sweater for some time but soon I found I could not keep hiding. My sewage tank friends started refusing to pass on the cigarette or sharing masese. Not because it was discrimination, but if I got ill, who would pay for my medical bills. If I die, they would not want my blood on their hands by assisting me to kill myself with drugs. So I went to Johane Masowe yeChishanu. Madzibaba gave me “muteuro” and holy water to use. I also started fasting and praying. Now my confidence has resurfaced and I feel better. I do not fear dearth as I have my holy medicines. ARVs are expensive, their supply inconsistent and if you start you can’t stop and I’m not employed. Jesus has offered me hope of another chance after death and promiscuity is not in our dictionary kumasowe.

Says Jeff (Kuwadzana): “My friend I was an educated drunk and loved muddling in deep African spiritual activities such as “mapira”. I foolishly spent my allowances on women and parties, eventually loosing my job and I have never been employed ever since. In 2010, my mother’s church changed venue and our family home was where God would be praised every Sunday. That’s how I met Jesus. Mapositori told me a lot of things about my self that I could not even explain and tried to hide. Church made me face reality. From that day I have not tasted beer or touched a cigarette. The little contracts I get with my university skills I now fully utilize and spend the monies wisely. I guess the hope of the pending salvation has made me clean up my act and I say: Kudzai Jehovah!

No comments: